7 Key Factors to Consider When Outsourcing App Development
By: Krishnendra | Views: 2011
Web Design & Development | 3 Min
The mobile app industry is still booming and it seems to never stand still with the advent of wearable and other types of interactive devices. According to a recent report released by IHS Markit, there will be over 6 billion smartphone users worldwide by 2020. On the other hand, Statista projects that there may be 258.2 billion app downloads by 2022. This demonstrates that the mobile app market will continue to get only stronger in the near future.
If you’re a business owner who is planning to develop your very own mobile app, outsourcing mobile app development can be the most efficient and cost-effective solution. There are several benefits you stand to gain from outsourcing your app development to a reliable company or developer, like
- Overall cost reduction
- Faster time-to-market
- Access to experienced, expert mobile app developers
- Continuous maintenance and support
- You can better focus on the marketing of your app
However, outsourcing your app development to the right person or company is not that easy. As much as it offers you numerous perks, it also puts you at high risk.
For this reason, it is crucial to make sure that the entire process of outsourcing app development is done right. To help you out, here are some factors you need to consider before outsourcing app development.
Let’s get started!
Comprehend Your App Requirements
This is the first and foremost thing that you need to do before you even decide to outsource app development. Define the core purpose of your app and be as clear as possible about what your app requirements are. This will help you better convey your requirements to the developer. Below are some questions to consider when you’re going to outsource app development:
- Who is your target audience?
- What is your preferred platform – iOS or Android?
- Will it be a native or hybrid app?
- Will your app free or paid?
- What is going to be the key feature of your app?
- What will be the monetization model?
Remember, unless you tell your developer what exactly you want out of your app, the chances of them meeting your expectations are very less.
Know Your App Budget
Another important factor to consider while you’re planning to outsource app development to a team of experts! Although the cost of a mobile app depends primarily on the features that you want to include in the app, it is also affected by the type (category or niche) of the app.
Taking reference from the similar apps in your category and keeping the complexity of your app in mind, you can accurately frame the budget of outsourcing app development. Here is the average cost of app development depending on their types:
- Utility Applications – $10000 to $15000
- A City Guide App – $25000 to $50000
- A Banking/Payment App – $40000 to $70000
- A Messaging App like WhatsApp – $50000 to $130000
- A Real Estate App like Realtors – $70000 to $100000
- A Dating App like Tinder – $80000 to $200000
- A Taxi Booking App like Uber or Lyft – $100000 to $150000
- A Social Networking App like Instagram – $120000 to $150000
- An eCommerce App like Etsy – $200000 to $250000
So, depending on your location, you can expect to spend anything from $20000 to $50000 for a simple app and up to $300000 for a complex app with multiple features.
Mitigate the Risks Involved in Outsourcing App Development
Once you estimate the cost of your mobile app, the next right step is to mitigate the risks involved in outsourcing app development. Like any other technological solution, outsourcing app development to a company or individual also has its cons. You need to first identify and then minimize them. Generally, the most common risks that you may encounter when outsourcing app development are:
- The leakage of sensitive/confidential data
- Delay in the delivery
- Poor product quality
- Source code insecurity
- Poor client-developer communication/misunderstanding
However, if you identify the risks involved in outsourcing beforehand, you can eliminate them by 99%.
Find the Right Mobile App Development Partner
Now that you have identified and reduced the risks involved in outsourcing app development, the next logical step is to find a trustworthy app development partner. So take adequate time to research and make a list of top mobile app development companies/developers whom you think are able to meet your app requirements within your budget within your budget.
When it comes to outsourcing app development, you ideally have five options available in the market:
- Boutique Mobile App Development Firms: Firms having specialization in mobile app development. They don’t offer it as an additional service.
- Big App Development Firms: Companies that offer mobile app development as an additional or secondary service.
- Independent App Developers: Independent developers who work as a freelancer and specialize in either Android or iOS app development.
- Offshore Firms: Firms offering relatively cheaper mobile app development services due to serious monetary constraints.
- Off-the-shelf Solutions: Not considered a perfect solution for outsourcing app development. Off-the-shelf Solutions include websites offering quick, built-in solutions according to your specific project requirements.
Whatever option you go with, check out portfolios and read reviews to ensure you end up with trustworthy professionals.
Check out for Signs of a Reliable App Developer
Before you make any final decision to hire a mobile app developer, you must look out for the signs of a great developer so you can be confident that you’re working with the right app development partner. Identify if the developer you’re going to hire:
- Shows a keen interest in your project
- Proactively asks questions about the project
- Provides relevant suggestions to make the app even better
- Is agree to sign a non-disclosure agreement
- Has exceptional communication skills
- Replies to your queries in a timely manner
- Treats you in a professional yet friendly manner
- Gives you precise details on how they are going to execute your project
Discover if Your Development Partner is Outsourcing
The next crucial thing you need to check out is if the company or developer you’re planning to hire is outsourcing too. While this doesn’t create a problem for some clients, it may have disastrous consequences for others, including:
- Mishandling sensitive intellectual property or proprietary material
- Legal consequences regarding the leakage of third-party, licensed information or technology.
- Inconsistency in the quality of the final app
- Delay in the delivery
Hence, it becomes crucial to test how transparent the company or developer is in its business practices. In other words, if you’re going to hire someone, you must know exactly who will be working on the project.
Establish App Development Milestones
Once you find the right partner to outsource mobile app development, the last step is to discuss the project milestones. Milestones or Timelines are the checkpoints in the project where the developer is required to complete the specific tasks. This is also the step where you can discuss whether you will use a pay as you go system or like to pay a lump sum once the project is done.
Setting up milestones not only helps you know where the project stands but also ensures that the project moves forward according to your predefined schedule. In case you do not set milestones, you can at least establish a connect calendar to make sure the developer will get in touch with you on specific dates and inform you about the project’s status. This will help in getting the project delivered in a timely manner.